Margaret Wente in The Globe and Mail, Toronto

Margaret Wente, one of my favorite columnists, had a column today leading with the words "Steve McIntyre… "

You can get the story via Google here.

1. Michael Ballantine
    Posted Mar 15, 2005 at 9:27 PM | Permalink

An excellent comment by the press. The only “sensationalization” is the magnitude of the money about to be spent on something that may or may not do anything. I especially appreciated the comment about “most stock brokers believed in Enron” in response to most scientists believing in AGW. Too bad there isn’t a link to this site. It would certainly help to spread the truth and maybe save us a few bucks.

2. John A.
    Posted Mar 16, 2005 at 7:00 AM | Permalink

Steve McIntyre is Paul Martin’s worst nightmare. A couple of years ago, the Toronto mining consultant got interested in the science behind global warming. Mr. McIntyre is not a scientist. He’s just a curious citizen with a first-rate mathematical mind who was intrigued by the biggest public policy issue of the age. “It started as a hobby,” he says.

I hope you’re blushing, Steve….

3. Jeff Norman
    Posted Mar 16, 2005 at 11:39 AM | Permalink

Margaret Wente does a great job of expressing my opinion. I rarely disagree with her commentaries.

The Globe printed three letters today from people who were outraged by her yesterday’s article (one from Greenpeace Canada (surprise)). All three denigrated Steve as a non-scientist and claimed there is a consensus of climate scientists just lining up to prove Steve wrong.

But, and I may have asked this before, since Steve and Ross have published a paper that has something to do with climate, does this qualify them as climate scientists? If not, what are the qualifications?

Jeff

4. John A.
    Posted Mar 16, 2005 at 12:41 PM | Permalink

Where are these people? That’s what I want to know.

5. Michael Jankowski
    Posted Mar 16, 2005 at 1:53 PM | Permalink

“All three denigrated Steve as a non-scientist and claimed there is a consensus of climate scientists just lining up to prove Steve wrong.”

I’d say it’s more like a bunch of climate scientists lining-up single file and hiding behind Mann…

6. Steve Switzer
    Posted Mar 16, 2005 at 5:25 PM | Permalink

I wrote Margaret telling her about your site, and she said she’ll writing another article pointing people to books and sites on the subject.