Mozilla Firefox

A curiosity that might interest others. The tracking software for this site logs browser type. To my surprise, there are somewhat more Mozilla Firefox hits to this site than Internet Explorer. I would never have guessed. We’ll have about 50,000 hits in April. The biggest traffic days were the two days around the slashdot article in March, next was the day of the Wall Street Journal article in February. Surprisingly, April 26th was 4th with over 3500 hits, although traffic in the first part of April was down.

1. John A.
    Posted Apr 27, 2005 at 9:41 AM | Permalink

Here are the browser stats for April:

17585 Internet Explorer 6
    18 Opera
    7 Mozilla Firebird 0.6
    6 Opera 6
    4 Lynx
    2 Opera 4
    2 Internet Explorer 4

It doesn’t exactly look like 90% browser share for IE, does it?

2. Dave Dardinger
    Posted Apr 27, 2005 at 10:39 AM | Permalink

For what it’s worth, I use both IE 6 and Netscape 7.2 (Mozilla 5 [Is that foxfire?]). But this site and most of my bookmarked sites are on Netscape while I use IE for my default browser. This makes it easier to clean out accumulated junk on IE without messing up things I have on Netscape. At least that’s my theory, though perhaps it’s naive.

3. Michael Ballantine
    Posted Apr 27, 2005 at 12:20 PM | Permalink

I suppose that I account for a lot of those Safari hits. As for other machines on my network, IE of any flavour is relegated to MS software updates because they require it. Firefox is the browser of choice on our Wintel machines. Also banned is Outlook which is the Typhoid Mary of email programs in addition to being one of the worst resource hogs available. Eudora does a perfectly good job and all email is rendered in plain text. If you really want fancy formating, put it in a PDF and attach it.

4. Posted Apr 27, 2005 at 12:23 PM | Permalink

I use always the AOL Browser,
    can’nt see anything on browser statistics

Bernd

5. Greg F
    Posted Apr 27, 2005 at 6:08 PM | Permalink

I use Firefox except for the rare page that is not compatible and I have to resort to IE.

Michael,

Did you ban Outlook or Outlook Express? I use Outlook and couldn’t live without it. I have quite a few tasks that are automated with VBA code.

Bernd,

AOL’s browser is just a modified IE with all it’s inherent security problems.

6. Michael Ballantine
    Posted Apr 28, 2005 at 5:27 AM | Permalink

Greg,
    Outlook and Outlook Express are indeed banned from my network. They are not installed in any machine I am responsible for. I was forced to use it while in the office where I used to work but on the road (most of the time) I only used Eudora. Now my personal machine is an iBook and I love it. If you really need to use something like Outlook then get a MAC and use Entourage. It is far supperior and you’ll get a much better Operating system too. Microsoft Office for MAC is much better than Office for Windows. Maybe it’s because MAC users won’t put up with the same crap that Windows users generally do. For the record, I know more about Windows than most IT people I’ve met and IT stuff is only a small part of what I used to do.

7. Posted Apr 28, 2005 at 10:27 PM | Permalink

Ok, but do not forget that your target is quite high. Here you can read about climate not in the tipical newspaper way. The people joining this weblog are from university or r&d. They are smart.. :-)

8. Paul H
    Posted Apr 29, 2005 at 6:02 PM | Permalink

I can hear it now: “They’re just a bunch of skeptics paid off by the oil and coal companies and even worse they use Firefox!!” :D

Posted Sep 18, 2005 at 2:34 PM | Permalink

The apple weenies are liberal Mannies checking up on the shenanigans. Umm…and Lambert. But I repeat myself. ;)