I’ve been knuckling down to finishing off an article on the multiproxy study, Jones et al , used in all the spaghetti diagrams. This is not robust to the Polar Urals reconstruction and a discussion of the Polar Urals site has taken on a life of its own. Many of the topics are familiar from posts earlier this year. As a spot-check of the 2005 HadCRU2 edition and the 2005 CRUTEM2 edition, I compared the gridcell series from these editions at the Polar Urals location (lat 66N, long 66E). I also compared results from the older dataset ndp020, which was either used in the Polar Urals study (or a variant edition from the same vintage) and the dataset supposedly used in MBH98 (archived in July 2004 at the Corrigendum SI at Nature). Most of the values were identical between the 2005 HadCRU and 2005 CRUTEM series, but there were 60 values which differed. The 2005 HadCRU and 2003 HadCRU series were identical where they overlapped. I’ve collated the set of differing values here. It’s a tab-separated text file and will open in Excel or R (among others). A script for doing the collation is here, but it requires prior collation of all 5 temperature datasets into R tables – which is worth doing for anyone researching specific gridcells. The time taken to set up the data in an organized way gets paid back quickly.