R and Statistics

I’m asked from time to time for references on statistics. I’m going to start posting up some links and references in a Page (see right frame). Here’s one that I noticed which is both an excellent introduction to R and to statistics. John Verzani, Using R for Introductory Statistics The nice thing about R packages is that you can results almost instantaneously and get a feel for what’s going on. Then you’ve got some motivation for the theoretical aspects. Unfortunately, things are usually taught the other wat around. R texts have a style that I really like – with the text often being a running comentary on the programming, with actual program lines being shown in the text.

Another package that I noticed and looks nice: Grant Farnsworth, Econometrics in R, Econometrics has been far more attentive to autocorrelation issues than paleoclimate, but the data issues have a lot in common.

Posted Sep 18, 2005 at 5:07 PM | Permalink

How does R compare to Minitab. My company gave us all Minitab for use on our computers for 6sigma class. Which program is better for doing manufacturing studies? For looking at laboratory experiments.

Posted Sep 18, 2005 at 8:10 PM | Permalink

No idea how they compare. But I sure like R. I learned computer programming at university – Fortran on punched cards. You had to leave it overnight. I’m in awe of what you can do quickly now.

3. Mike Rankin
    Posted Feb 23, 2006 at 2:58 PM | Permalink

Steve or others – help. I would like to acquire the R program package. I used the links to find http://www.r-project.org. The instructions say that the primary download is approx 25M. My problem is that I have only dial up access with recent problems of slow speed and periodic loss of connection. Is there a volunteer willing to obtain the necessary downloads to a CD and mail it to me. I am more than willing to reimburse for time and materials.

PS. In looking for an appropriate topic, I ran across references to R scripts on climateaudit.org dealing with spurious correlation. The web addresses did not connect me to the files.

4. ET SidViscous
    Posted Feb 23, 2006 at 4:21 PM | Permalink

What is your location?

5. McCall
    Posted Feb 23, 2006 at 4:22 PM | Permalink

Mr Rankin- There may be a faster way.

Not sure where you are but, if you have access to Kinkos, you can rent time on their broadband access PC, or use your own portable with WiFi (even cheaper if you have one) using their or any (e.g. McDonald’s) hotspot.

Download or email the file to yourself (YahooMail, Hotmail, or other). Once there, you can have the file copied to one of the Kinkos local PCs on their network for CD burning — CD Burners are typically not on the customer machines, but are on the Kinko employee machines. Or better, if you have a USB Flash-card or SD-Card, you can copy directly to that on their customer machines.

So for the cost of a 1/2 hour rental and a blank CD or flash-card (and at most a small service fee) — you’re done! http://www.fedex.com/us/officeprint/storesvcs/technology/computers.html

6. ET SidViscous
    Posted Feb 23, 2006 at 4:27 PM | Permalink

Good option

Another possibility is a download manager. When the connection drops out it re-connects later and starts from wher it left off.

For what it’s worth though Windows download whoosy-whats-it doesn’t advertise the capability, if the connection borks, you can cancel and re-start and it **usually** starts where it left off.

7. Mike Rankin
    Posted Feb 23, 2006 at 4:27 PM | Permalink

I am in Houston, Tx, USA. There is a Kinkos in the area. Will give that a shot. Thanks for your thoughts.

8. ET SidViscous
    Posted Feb 23, 2006 at 5:24 PM | Permalink

If not pop up again I’ll send it to you (just didn’t know if you were in Bulgaria or some such).

9. Mike Rankin
    Posted Feb 26, 2006 at 3:56 PM | Permalink

McCall, thanks for your idea. I was able Saturday to down load the R program files at Kinkos. Am now in the process of digesting the manuals preparatory to examining some of the data Steve has made available.

10. Mike Rankin
    Posted Mar 1, 2006 at 4:27 PM | Permalink

Yes, I have downloaded the R program. Unfortunately, I have been unsuccessful at loading data from selected tree ring archives. I was interested in the recent entries mentioned by Steve. Does anyone have R code that works for this? My numerous efforts have been for naught. The various “manuals” I have acquired note tricks at getting data into R but I invariably hit “errors” which stop progress.