If any of you have young children and heavy unsecured television sets or the like, proceed immediately to ensure that they are completely secured or remove them.
American Thanksgiving weekend has been very black here. On Sunday evening, our 2 year old grandson, a bright, handsome and active child with a mass of curly blond hair, pulled over a dresser and a heavy television set hit him in the skull fracturing it in two places and breaking two ribs. He stopped breathing. My son revived him with CPR learned only from watching ER and from something he learned when he was 10. The CAT scans are clear, but one of the fractures is an indentation fracture and worrying. He has just been released from intensive care, but is under close attention at a fine hospital. We are cautiously optimistic today and the tension is receding slightly. Our 5-year old granddaughter, who is a great joy to us, is staying with us during the crisis.
A child died in Toronto in a similar accident earlier this year. My daughter-in-law agreed to an interview on CTV last night and was admirable. There is an article about the event in the Toronto Star today here. I am adding my limited voice to their concerns because my son and daughter-in-law decided that they wanted to publicize this easily avoidable risk.
My attention is obviously elsewhere. On the other hand, sometimes things are so chilling that you’re better off working as a distraction.