Weblog update: Recent comments

In response to a few complaints, I’ve expanded the recent comments from 5 to 10, because we now have them coming so thick and fast that some people (rather sad people in my view) are missing responses to comments.

Of course the ultimate solution for those scientists out there who claim to be addicted to Climate Audit (and you know who you are) is to use an RSS reader and use the URLs at the bottom of this page. In fact, users of Firefox can cut-and-paste the RSS links into their bookmarks and set them to update every half an hour.

In other news, I’ve been installing a cut-down version of LaTeX which means that Steve will be able to produce some pretty equations in his text.

For example:

is the Navier-Stokes equation of incompressible fluid flow where is the kinematic viscosity , is the velocity of the fluid parcel, is the pressure, and is the fluid density

It’s a little unwieldy to create at the moment, so I have to get into the guts of the WordPress system to make it easier to create equations.

Posted Dec 22, 2005 at 1:29 PM | Permalink | Reply

Good job. I know you are pushing people to use RSS, but would remind that a large part of the casual web audience does not do this. So a normal method of delivering content is helpful. 10 vice 5 is a good step, but maybe just having a table or something that shows all the comment or comment headings (going back forever) would be useful. Sometimes people take a weekend off and then you’ll never know if someone replies on saturday to something that is off page 1.

Posted Dec 22, 2005 at 1:40 PM | Permalink | Reply

Also need some more frisky smilies. This place rocks and should have more irreverant smilies. See these sites for typical good ones (you may need to register and post a comment to see their smilies):

3. John S
    Posted Dec 22, 2005 at 4:16 PM | Permalink | Reply

Re #2
    Puhlease, this is not some teenage chatroom where people go around saying:
    LOL :)
    UR so QT ;) :P ROTFLMAO
    Cut all the smilies out I say.

Posted Dec 22, 2005 at 4:21 PM | Permalink | Reply

I disagree. We need the machine gun smilie.

Posted Dec 22, 2005 at 4:25 PM | Permalink | Reply

I doubt that Steve would go for it.

Rule #1: If TCO wants it then its a reeeeaaaaalllllllyyyyy bad idea

Posted Dec 22, 2005 at 5:30 PM | Permalink | Reply

Let’s run a pilot…

7. Paul Penrose
    Posted Dec 22, 2005 at 7:50 PM | Permalink | Reply

Sack the smilies.

8. Posted Dec 22, 2005 at 8:34 PM | Permalink | Reply

Steve:
    Some of the major bloggers are encouraging readers to donate to their favorite blogs, and send a note of appreciation for all the hard work necessary in maintain that blog. You do not have a tip jar, so I just wanted to let you know this is the first blog I check every morning the the last one each evening. I am not a physical scientist, but have a vital interest in the global warming discussion as a political scientist, futurist, freelance writer. and California taxpayer. Thanks for all your analysis, for John A’s contributions, for having a open forum of ideas, and finally for putting up with those who stray from the thread. And, thanks to all of you who contribute here. This is without a doubt one of the most interesting science related blogs. Thanks!

9. Posted Dec 23, 2005 at 6:50 AM | Permalink | Reply
  10. Dave Dardinger
    Posted Dec 23, 2005 at 10:37 AM | Permalink | Reply

BTW, thanks for the longer list of recent posts. I agree that installing a RSS reader might make sense, but I sort of hate to add something more that gets into the guts of your computer. At least so far I think the new list has kept me from missing any new posts as they come along.

Posted Dec 23, 2005 at 12:04 PM | Permalink | Reply

Re #9

Since we can’t install LaTex on this server, then MimeTex is the best we can do. I’m going to be installing the rest of LatexRender for WordPress in order to make it a bit easier for ordinary mortals.