Mears and Wentz: Polar Amplification Calamity

New Mears and Wentz data plotted up here shows the full impact of the looming polar amplification calamity in Antarctica. Data was downloaded from their FTP site here .

Mears and Wentz data showed the following temperature for 60-70S (they do not report results south of 70S, although they show results north of 70N).

Figure 1. Temperature from Mears and Wentz 60-70S.

In a statement, Al Gore said that Antarctic amplification has caused penguins to migrate from their Antarctic habitat to theatres near you.

1. Willis Eschenbach
    Posted Oct 2, 2006 at 7:44 PM | Permalink

Steve, much of the data south of 70°C is affected by the height of the plateaus there, which is not true in the north.

w.

2. Jeff Weffer
    Posted Oct 2, 2006 at 7:47 PM | Permalink

Average annual temperature at the South pole (90 S) is -49.5C. Not much melting at that temp.

Average annual temperature between 60 S to 70 S is -13 C. Maybe a little melting for one month in the height of Antarctica’s summer. Pretty darn cold for the rest of the year.

3. Posted Oct 3, 2006 at 5:16 PM | Permalink

Is the terminology (“calamity”) an accepted one by those guys? Do they use it both for catastrophic warming as well as catastrophic cooling by breathtaking 0.2 degrees? ;-)

Don’t forget that global warming causes global cooling as well as all other disasters previously known as the weather. :-)

4. JP
    Posted Oct 7, 2006 at 5:11 PM | Permalink

Calamity Jane was named “Calamity” because she had a venereal disease. Is .2 degrees as catastrophic as an encounter with Jane?

5. David Archibald
    Posted Oct 7, 2006 at 5:41 PM | Permalink

Has anybody got any natural curiosity as to why Antarctica is cooling? Is it the aerosols again?

6. David Smith
    Posted Nov 17, 2006 at 9:39 AM | Permalink

Bender, I notice that one of the weather computer models is showing the chance of snow flurries Monday (20 Nov) as far south as Jacksonville, Florida. Brrr.

7. Michael Jankowski
    Posted Nov 17, 2006 at 10:11 AM | Permalink

If we had a large population and a corresponding number of politicians in Antarctica, maybe there would be some noise.

8. welikerocks
    Posted Nov 17, 2006 at 11:24 AM | Permalink

#4 Source for that tid bit? I’ve just never heard that one before.
    I gotta stick up for a strong women here who held her own in a man’s world ;)
    This site “Women in History”: http://www.lkwdpl.org/WIHOHIO/cana-mar.htm
    says and it quotes the women herself:

“When fired upon, Captain Egan was shot. I was riding in advance and, on hearing the firing, turned in my saddle and saw the Captain reeling in his saddle as though about to fall. I turned my horse and galloped back with all haste to his side and got there in time to catch him as he was falling. I lifted him onto my horse in front of me and succeeded in getting him safely to the Fort. Captain Egan, on recovering, laughingly said: ‘I name you Calamity Jane, the heroine of the plains.’ I have borne that name up to the present time.”

9. welikerocks
    Posted Nov 17, 2006 at 11:41 AM | Permalink

And speaking of calamity we wanted to ask if anybody at all was aware that after the earthquake a few days ago in the sea off of Japan that a tsunami hit both Oahu (my father in law lives there and observed it) and the coast of Northern California at Crescent City. We only know this only because we have family and friends who live in these places. The surge pretty much destroyed the little harbor in Crescent City. (we were just there last month for an FOP camp-out/ meeting of the Geology department of Humboldt University) Anybody else hear of this?

Sorry for being so OT, but when I found the “Road Map” under General link at left, but it comes up blank and doesn’t load. (You can’t read the guidelines or rules, or the comments, just blank at least for us)

mrs.welikerocks

10. jae
    Posted Nov 17, 2006 at 12:03 PM | Permalink

9: Yeah, funny about the Tsunami that hit Crescent City–the advisories said it would not happen there, as I understand. The whole city was wiped out by a Tsunami several decades ago, when the big Alaska earthquake occurred.

11. JP
    Posted Nov 17, 2006 at 4:39 PM | Permalink

re: 9 I can’t remember where I ran across the tidbit. Here is another reference to it: http://www.epinions.com/book-review-6AA-3518B3C2-39B2DDA6-prod5
    Think about Calamity Jane. She drank, chewed, cussed, wore pants and hung out in bars at a period in our history when the only women that would even go into a bar were prostitutes.

The tidbit was only my feeble attempt at humor. I meant no offence to you or the other women on the forum.

12. David Smith
    Posted Nov 17, 2006 at 8:35 PM | Permalink

Interesting article on Greenland temperatures.

13. Dave Dardinger
    Posted Nov 17, 2006 at 9:19 PM | Permalink

re: #12

So Jones and Briffa are part of this updating of records? Interesting.

14. bender
    Posted Nov 17, 2006 at 10:30 PM | Permalink

Re #12
    This, on Greenland:

However, of greater importance is the fact that the researchers found the warmest year on record to be 1941, while the 1930s and 1940s are the warmest decades on record. This represents very bad news for climate change alarmists, since the warmest period was NOT the last quarter of the 20th century. In fact, the last two decades of the 20th century (1981-1990 and 1991-2000) were colder across the study area than any of the previous six decades, dating back to the 1900s and 1910s (Table 1). When examining the instrumental records of the stations it is apparent that no net warming has occurred since the warm period of the 1930s and 1940s (Figure 1).

and this …

In a region of the world where climate models indicate that the greatest impacts of CO2-induced global warming will be most rapid and most evident, this recent extension of instrumental surface air temperature records produces a climate history that seems to suggest otherwise.

Too bad the RC comment form is currently closed.

15. welikerocks
    Posted Nov 18, 2006 at 7:40 AM | Permalink

#11 JP, I wasn’t offended and I saw your humor! No worries.
    I was just interested. And yeah I know! I can’t imagine!

#10 thanks for the reply jae. The whole of Crescent city wasn’t wiped out back in that last one, but the main streets closer to the ocean were. When you visit that town, the landscape is awesome, however the atmosphere in the little town is tinged with danger and past hurts-hard to describe! We didn’t get any advisories down south either, and the kids were in the water for surf team that morning. Apparently it caused rip tides and strong currents for an hour or so when the wave ended up in our area-thankfully the kids didn’t experience it -it hit later in the afternoon. Tsunami a real danger, no warnings, no plan-yet here we are being advised and taxed and warned about global warming! – sheesh bah humbug!

Sorry so OT We are watching you all rip this stuff open piece by piece.

16. KevinUK
    Posted Nov 18, 2006 at 8:08 AM | Permalink

#12 DS,

Here is a link to an abstract (and with links to some datasets) for the papere and here is a link to the paper itself in PDF format.

KevinUK

17. David Smith
    Posted Nov 18, 2006 at 10:38 AM | Permalink

Re # 16 Kevin, thanks for the link.

I, too, am surprised to see Jones and Briffa listed as co-authors.

18. George
    Posted Nov 18, 2006 at 11:53 AM | Permalink

Re #15- Some newscasts in the Northwest have been saying that Crescent City, which was hit really hard by the 1964 Alaska earthquake tsunami, seems to “attract” tsunamis. Strange choice of words. It’s all about bathymetry. Submarine ridges tend to focus waves; surfers have known that for a long time. Crescent City was just built in a bad place (tsunami-wise). There are similar places all along the west coast, but no low-lying towns at those places.

If a tsunami hit and there was no one to witness it, would it make a sound?