ClimateAudit updated

I’ve just upgraded the WordPress software to the latest version (2.12), so I’d appreciate any feedback as to anything wrong/missing/not working.

I’ve decided to update the software fairly regularly, but not be right on the bleeding edge. We were on version 1.5.0.3 for a long time but useful plug-ins for WordPress 2 wouldn’t work, and the step-change when I did upgrade was rather large.

Fortunately I didn’t upgrade to version 2.11, which had been compromised by a hacker who had put in remote exploits to the source code. I intend to let new versions bed-in (ie let others spot the bugs) before I install them.

I’d also like to express my appreciation for the developers of WordPress, who have put a lot of time and effort into making WordPress the best blogging software out there.

1. T J Olson
    Posted Mar 17, 2007 at 4:05 AM | Permalink

OFF TOPIC but deserved praise!

You and Steve make an excellent and complimentary team. And the many commenters keep climateaudit updated with dialog for those with general and specialist interests. I take my (figurative) hat off to you for successive site improvements. A place climbing closer and closer to “a model” status.

(My own overdue contribution coming soon.)

2. Eddy
    Posted Mar 17, 2007 at 6:11 AM | Permalink

Hello Steve,

This may be not the right place, but I want to send you this interesting link about treerings. I read your blog nearly every day an wonder, what will be your beliefs in 5 or 10 years. I wonder why the paleoclimatologists don’t work together with people like you. Maybe the people form the following link are interested in your work.

Here is also a book I will probably buy. Unfortunately it is in german language, but it is about the weather of Middle-europe for the last 1000 Years.

Maybe the author can give you some explanations to the european climate.

Here is a site from a french glaciologist, who explains that only small glaciers retreat in the alps:

I hope it is ok to post these links here. I think they are very important for your work!

Her is also a sceptic french site:

with some information you probably don’t know.

One more link and I wish you a nice weekend an hope that my links can help you to make the science what it ought to be.

Thank you very much for all this work!!!!!

Best regards

Eddy

3. Reference
    Posted Mar 17, 2007 at 11:02 AM | Permalink

John,

Perhaps this is not the best time to make this suggestion considering your recent upgrade work, but have you considered setting up a Wiki? Not only would it overcome the censorship restrictions on Wikipedia but it would help structure the helpful yet increasingly chaotic resources produced on this site. Also contributions could be edited!

PS the Mediawiki software is free, open source and can be configured to have the same look and feel as Wikipedia.

Posted Mar 17, 2007 at 11:47 AM | Permalink

Re: #3

I think that everyone who has encountered Wikipedia (and most internet users have encountered it without even knowing it) has had an idea that if they ran Wikipedia it would be better/faster/stronger/less sucky than it is. The problem is that Wikipedia has demonstrated that a million good intentions can end very, very badly.

Let me illustrate with the following diagram:

You see the problem is that for a wiki to work properly to produce an accurate and authoritative work there must be a strong and authoritative organization that oversees it, and an inexhaustible supply of cheap labour to write it. Articles would have to be reviewed before publication. And after. Sources would have to be checked and re-checked. Authors would have to be named and ready to stand by their scholarship. A chief editor and an editorial board would have to stand behind the authors. A sort of intellectual tyranny must be established.

There isn’t any such organization on the planet.

As far as Climate Audit is concerned, its mainly Steve McIntyre groping through literature trying to understand it. Everything is incomplete and unsatisfying.

I have pondered the idea of writing a book on the Hockey Stick which would attempt to tell the story so far. I’m not sure it would sell well.

As a matter of fact, I have setup a wiki for a customer as a cheap way to write and store documentation and procedures. It works very well like that.

I just don’t know that there is an infrastructure in software that would do a better job of recording stuff than WordPress.

Posted Mar 17, 2007 at 12:50 PM | Permalink

#3. I’ve pondering how to do some housekeeping. Writing blog entries is not the same thing as organizing data retrieval packages. Lots of people are interested in gridcell and station temperatures and I think that some readers are interested in doing some analysis in areas that interest them. I’ve figured out how to get a LOT of data into usable form. While I’ve posted up scripts, they quickly become unfindable in the deluge of postings. This can be improved by my using the Pages to organize and sort these things out.

Also R encourages people to make “packages” and many of my scripts would be well organized in an R package. From time to time, I try to figure out how to make an R package and every time, I get stumped. I’ve seen some sort of-manuals, but I need a template that someone else used to make an R package. If anyone can identify a good working template for me, I’ll make up an R package.

The other way of wading through the deluge is to use the Categories frame at the left. I use it quite a lot.

In admin mode, WordPress has excellent search functions which are unavailable to external readers. I use these all the time. We should probably suggest that Word Press implement these for third parties.

One area that a Wiki approach might make sense is for specific data retrieval issues.

Posted Mar 18, 2007 at 4:56 AM | Permalink

I’m not sure a wiki would help. It wouldn’t necessarily organize the unorganized, nor finish the unfinished.

I remain a profound skeptic of the whole “wisdom of crowds” idea.

7. Willis Eschenbach
    Posted Mar 18, 2007 at 4:56 AM | Permalink

John A., I can’t seem to post graphics, I think that got lost in the update. Can it be re-installed?

And while I’m at it, much appreciation for the countless hours of work that you have put into this marvelous site.

Let me test LaTex while I’m at it, by saying …

Th_anks

w.

8. Posted Mar 18, 2007 at 10:22 AM | Permalink
    Posted Mar 18, 2007 at 11:01 AM | Permalink

Willis I posted the above without being logged in. It now works – its just one of the modifications to the system that get overwritten when I upgrade the software (which is why I always have a backup)

10. Willis Eschenbach
    Posted Mar 18, 2007 at 5:00 PM | Permalink

Much appreciated, John. That’s what I figured.

w.

11. Follow the Money
    Posted Mar 18, 2007 at 7:41 PM | Permalink

Looks great

and thanks for making hyperlinks within post texts underlined.