We're Back!

In case you’re wondering where we’ve been, the story is at Anthony Watts’ site. Anthony reports the resuscitation here. Thanks, Anthony. Will chat tomorrow.

1. Geoff Sherrington
    Posted Feb 23, 2009 at 11:23 PM | Permalink

And you now face a series of lectures about dependency, withdrawl, disruption to excitement and excessive cofffee consumption.

Good that you are back. Geoff.

2. AnonyMoose
    Posted Feb 23, 2009 at 11:46 PM | Permalink

Welcome back. And it’s great to see a productive result out of a couple of climate researchers’ computer project.

3. Jeff Alberts
    Posted Feb 23, 2009 at 11:52 PM | Permalink

Frau Blucher!

4. rephelan
    Posted Feb 24, 2009 at 12:20 AM | Permalink

Welcome back.

5. J.Hansford
    Posted Feb 24, 2009 at 1:18 AM | Permalink

Cool…. I thought fer a moment there… *gulp*… that science had died! ;-)

6. Caleb
    Posted Feb 24, 2009 at 2:18 AM | Permalink

I’m so glad you have reappeared.

7. Chris Schoneveld
    Posted Feb 24, 2009 at 2:39 AM | Permalink

Now I have experienced what a withdrawal symptom is like.

Posted Feb 24, 2009 at 2:52 AM | Permalink

You’re all sad. Its just a blog, you know…. ;-)

9. Ross Berteig
    Posted Feb 24, 2009 at 2:52 AM | Permalink

For a moment I was afraid that was a photo of Anthony after finishing the repair… then I came to my senses. Mostly. ;-)

I’m so glad to see the server back and happy. Thanks, Anthony, for the hard work!

10. Geoff Sherrington
    Posted Feb 24, 2009 at 4:26 AM | Permalink

Anthony, how dependent is your Prius on electronic/electrical devices?

• Anthony Watts
      Posted Feb 24, 2009 at 10:13 AM | Permalink

Re: Geoff Sherrington (#10),

I don’t drive a Prius. But I do own and electric car for toodling around town

11. Max
    Posted Feb 24, 2009 at 6:24 AM | Permalink

Now I know what a cut off heroin addict goes through.

12. D Johnson
    Posted Feb 24, 2009 at 6:30 AM | Permalink

I think it’s kind of neat that the 2008 Best Science Blog offered such valuable assistance to the 2007 Best Science Blog!

13. Concerned Reader
    Posted Feb 24, 2009 at 10:52 AM | Permalink

I’m sure this is being done, but I assume offline backups are being performed on a routine basis… ? I’d hate for something happy to this site!

14. Carrick
    Posted Feb 24, 2009 at 10:56 AM | Permalink

If you have the spare bucks for it, I recommend upgrading to a RAID-5 system. That has four hard drives, with one serving as a parity check.

I have two systems that I store my data on. One serving as a primary system and the other as a backup (I use rsync to keep the two copies of the data current). I would recommend a 2-TB Lacie RAID-5 system supporting hot swap of a spare drive. Goes for about $470 on Amazon and supports Firewire 400/800, USB-2, and eSATA.

15. Carrick
    Posted Feb 24, 2009 at 11:04 AM | Permalink

Also, you should also place the primary and backup systems in different rooms and ideally in different buildings (guards against theft, leaking roofs, fires, etc.)…

For smaller archives, there are also on-line data storage facilities that you can rent and keep your data synced to. That is the perfect second system, but is a bit more pricey (ibackup for example sells storage for $10 per 10 GB per month).

16. RDunn
    Posted Feb 24, 2009 at 11:06 AM | Permalink

Yeah!

17. DJ
    Posted Feb 24, 2009 at 12:56 PM | Permalink

Wow, great to see you back, Steve. I caught myself checking for CA every hour Sunday night until I found WUWT Anthony explaining what had happen. Then I was checking almost every hour Monday night until it came up. I was thinking something like a Hacker did something to the Site. Let’s get going, I want to learn more…..:)

18. DJ
    Posted Feb 24, 2009 at 12:58 PM | Permalink

Anthony,

I want to say “Thanks” from all of us here that visit and use this Site. What you did at your Site was of great help. Great job explaining what was going on…Thanks again…

19. Dave Andrews
    Posted Feb 24, 2009 at 2:24 PM | Permalink

Like Max I was feeling bereft. Welcome back and THANK YOU Anthony!

20. ChrisJ
    Posted Feb 24, 2009 at 6:54 PM | Permalink

I would seriously look into ZFS, which is a real leap forward in storage. Also, You need to be careful, some type of off site replication is necessary to deal with floods, fires, thefts, power vault explosions, and other single location failure modes. Hang in there! Many thanks for all your hard work keeping this intellectual exercise going. I never fail to learn something from CA. best regards, -chris

21. mpaul
    Posted Feb 24, 2009 at 7:10 PM | Permalink

Why not use Typepad or Blogger to host your site? The advantage is that they have a horizontally scaled infrastructure. If they are having a problem with one machine, they just switch you to another machine. They handel backup and recovery. You don’t have to worry about all the arcane issues associated with running a web service.

22. Hu McCulloch
    Posted Feb 25, 2009 at 9:38 AM | Permalink

Thanks, Anthony!

I’ve noticed that the time stamps on CA comments tend to be 1 hour before the Eastern time zone that would expect, given that Steve is in Toronto. This was explained recently on the grounds that the server is in a different time zone, presumably Central. However, we now know it’s in CA, which should be 3 hours earlier.

I don’t care which zone is used, but would it be possible for you or John A or whoever does this to add “CST” or “Central Time Zone” or whatever to the headers to avoid confusion on the rare occasions when it matters?

For example, if Gavin reports a problem at 2AM that was mentioned in a post on CA that was stamped 1:30 AM the same morning, was this before the CA post and therefore clearly an independent discovery, or was it later and therefore probably inspired by the CA post?

Sent 10:38 AM EST

Thanks!

• Anthony Watts
      Posted Feb 25, 2009 at 2:07 PM | Permalink

Re: Hu McCulloch (#23),

Hugh regardign what time one, that’s a decision for Steve to make. It’s his blog.

My vote would be for EST or GMT

23. kim
    Posted Feb 25, 2009 at 4:25 PM | Permalink

Dealing with a dearth of Climate Audit was no problem for me. I just dematerialized until it was back up, then rematerialized. I don’t see why everybody didn’t take such an elegant solution to the problem. Anthony excepted, of course.
    =====================================================

24. Posted Mar 1, 2009 at 8:12 AM | Permalink

Good that you are back. Geoff.