CanAm 2010 Squash Doubles

I’m playing in the 60+ division of the 2010 USA vs. Canada in Squash Doubles this weekend. (US notice here.)

I qualified for the Canadian team on last year’s 60+ tournaments (finals of the Canadians, semis of the US and won the Ontario.) Tournament website says:

The 2nd playing of the Can-Am Cup Squash Doubles Championship takes place October 22 – 24, 2010 in Toronto, Ontario Canada.

The host venue for this event will be the Toronto Cricket, Skating and Curling Club. Supporting venues will be the Toronto Lawn Tennis Club and the Badminton & Racquet Club. The event will feature the best doubles teams from Canada and the United States, 104 players, 52 from each country, participating in a Ryder Cup-like competition.

The Can-Am Cup will feature two teams from each country in each of thirteen divisions:
Men’s

* 75+

Women’s

* A/Open
* 40+
* 45+
* 50+

Not doing very well so far.

1. Robert
    Posted Oct 22, 2010 at 10:45 PM | Permalink

Small omission at the end Steve. Good luck at the tournament. I’m sure your luck will turn around!

2. Geoff Sherrington
    Posted Oct 23, 2010 at 12:54 AM | Permalink

What do you mean you are not doing well? I checked your counting by 5 and it had no
    errors I could audit.

Sicerely, I dips me lid. At your age I could not have played squash at all. Keep young. Geoff.

3. Ken Finney
    Posted Oct 23, 2010 at 1:11 AM | Permalink

Well then, give us the stats of the opposition & let us analyze them for you!

4. Spence_UK
    Posted Oct 23, 2010 at 3:31 AM | Permalink

Good luck in the match this morning, Steve – hope things go a bit more your way!

5. Roj
    Posted Oct 23, 2010 at 4:28 AM | Permalink

Quote:

‘If you can meet with Triumph and Disaster
    And treat those two impostors just the same;’

and quite pertinent to life away from sport…

‘If you can bear to hear the truth you’ve spoken
    Twisted by knaves to make a trap for fools,’

‘If you can fill the unforgiving minute
    With sixty seconds’ worth of distance run,
    Yours is the Earth and everything that’s in it,
    And – which is more – you’ll be a Man, my son!’

All quoted text by Rudyard Kipling, out of copyright by now, I hope.

Go Steve, Go Canada!

Posted Oct 23, 2010 at 5:07 AM | Permalink

At least Steve doesn’t hide the decline.

7. GolfCharley
    Posted Oct 23, 2010 at 7:39 AM | Permalink

If you had adjusted the historical data, so that between age 20 and 40, you actually aged 25 years, you would have competed in the 65+ category. Records more than 20 years old are often unreliable and may be adjusted up or down to suit your purpose.

8. Bernie
    Posted Oct 23, 2010 at 7:47 AM | Permalink

I play in an over-60 soccer league with lots of foreign players – a robust audit of birthdates would be very interesting.

9. mpaul
    Posted Oct 23, 2010 at 10:29 AM | Permalink

As an American, I can’t say that I’m rooting for the Canadians, but I am rooting for Steve. We’ll done qualifying.

10. oneuniverse
    Posted Oct 23, 2010 at 10:31 AM | Permalink

Impressive! Tough pick of opponents too :

Lightning : Bill Simpson, ranked no. 1 in US M60+ doubles (latest 09/10 rankings)
    Round 2: Michael Pierce, ranked no. 2
    Round 3: Bill Simpson

11. Posted Oct 23, 2010 at 10:57 AM | Permalink

Good luck !!!
    (and don’t get hurt)

12. Ed Waage
    Posted Oct 23, 2010 at 11:56 AM | Permalink

If you used upside down scores, the results would show that you actually won the first two games!

Congratulations on being chosen to represent your country.

13. Spence_UK
    Posted Oct 23, 2010 at 1:54 PM | Permalink

Steve won his third round game according to the website :)

Congratulations Steve! At the time of writing, Canada are level on points against the US in the mens game – nail biting stuff!

14. TAC
    Posted Oct 23, 2010 at 3:09 PM | Permalink

Steve, congratulations and good luck!

15. Fred . . .
    Posted Oct 23, 2010 at 3:41 PM | Permalink

Best of luck . . . .

16. pesadia
    Posted Oct 24, 2010 at 6:40 AM | Permalink

ROJ
    Although you correctly cited Rudyard Kipling, you failed to pointout that this particular quote was from the the poem “IF”.This may be construed as insufficient attribution. LOL
    Enjoy the game Steve, look forward to some photographs.

17. Posted Oct 24, 2010 at 11:11 AM | Permalink

Well done, Steve

Looks like you won the 3rd round match with your partner Brian Murray! Keep it up.

At present according to the web site the Canuck men’s team are leading the US with 27 points against 25.5. Is this the final result as there appear to be only 3 rounds according to the web site? If so, then well done Canucks!!

As best as I can work out Steve, you only lost to their #1 pairing. When #1 was playing #1 and #2 was playing #2 (in 60+) in round 3 you won both games, so it looks like the 60+ Canuck team won over the US team fair and square.

• TerryMN
      Posted Oct 24, 2010 at 12:48 PM | Permalink

Kevin,

I think they add both the Men’s and Women’s scores, which put the US at 40 points for the win. According to the home page, first country to 39.5 is the winner.

Posted Oct 24, 2010 at 2:37 PM | Permalink

I didn’t hear anything about 39.5 points at the venue. Notwithstanding the webpage, there were separate awards for men’s and ladies’ events. Canada won the men’s (on the last match); US the ladies. I didn’t hear anything at the closing presentation about a combined award but I was outside the gallery and chatting.

• TerryMN
      Posted Oct 24, 2010 at 6:26 PM | Permalink

Congrats on the men’s victory and on winning the 3rd round match! The 39.5 thing is listed on the home page of the event in bold under Scoring – the only way I could get to 78 points was by adding the men’s and women’s totals.