The Climate Audit Assistant is a script that automatically enhances the Climate Audit blog. It provides additional features and fixups not possible through the Climate Audit host site.
This is being made available to alleviate some of the hassles of using the new CA site, as well as other sites that participate in the Open Science process.
UPDATED: Version 0.0.9 (build 41) available Jan 20, 2010. Existing users click on “Settings” then “Check for Updates”
What this provides today:
- Comment ‘Tag’ buttons above the Reply box
- Comment preview (click to toggle between preview/edit modes)
- Replies include thread links; “Paste Link” feature also provided for referencing multiple comments
- Comment sorting and thread enable/disable – new comments always collected together, even if nested!
- Color-coding of newer comments, and/or hiding old comments
- Ability to update to new CA Assistant version within the script (see the Settings popup)
- Works on all Open Science Web Ring blogs
- (new!) Reorganizes “Recent Comments” list to more easily see which topics have been updated
- (new!) Lucia’s blog has faster/better support
- (new!) Hides old comments while retaining their (author/date) context (on RomanM and Lucia’s blogs)
What this will provide soon (we hope):
- A way to incorporate images (for now, our host disables images in comments)
- Dynamic adjustment of old-comment hiding
- Repair data file links, to point to climateaudit.info
- Other fixups
- Firefox browser: install and use the Firefox web browser. (It won’t interfere with the operation of other browsers you may use, and can even import your bookmarks for your convenience.) Install using the link above.
- Greasemonkey Add-on for Firefox: Greasemonkey empowers your custom scripts to change the behavior of web pages on the fly. You just run the CA Assistant inside of Greasemonkey. Install using the link above.
- The CA Assistant script: this does the real work.
- Go to http://www.climateaudit.info/ca-assist/ca-assist.user.js
- If GreaseMonkey is properly installed, you should get a popup screen with an “Install” button. Click it.
- Click the Settings link (top right of the web page) to customize to your liking.
Installation is complete! Your ClimateAudit experience will now be a bit more friendly.
- (Assuming your Status Bar is turned on, View->Status Bar), notice the GreaseMonkey (in Color or B&W ) in the bottom right corner of your browser. Click it to enable/disable GM and the CA Assistant (if it is not in color, the CA Assistant won’t work)
- To use most of the Comment editing buttons, just press the button to insert the desired features. The “Link” and “Image” buttons just need to be pressed, and they’ll lead you through.
- This script is enabled for multiple WordPress sites, and you can try it on others. See below.
There’s a settings popup available in the top-right corner of the page. Open it, modify the “General” and “Comment” tab settings as you see fit, and save. The next time the page is redrawn, the new settings will take effect. (Eventually, some of these settings will be more dynamic, taking effect immediately. Sorry, not yet!)
- Logging: for debug purposes. You can ignore.
- Reorganize Recent Comments: sorts recent comments list (sidebar), making it easier to see active threads. (Currently supported only on some sites)
- “Old” and “New” comments are defined by age in hours.
- You can hide all old comments (default: 48 hours). Hiding older comments is a great way to simplify your view of more intense discussions. (On Lucia and RomanM’s sites, the content of old contents disappears, but Author/Date remain. Nice!)
- Comments can also be color-coded by age: old (gray bar), normal (yellow bar) and new (green bar).
- Comment threading can be enabled or disabled. With older comments hidden or color coded, threading becomes a more reasonable proposition.
- Comments can also be sorted: newest at the bottom (default) or at the top of the page.
- If you have a “NoScript” add-on installed, you’ll have to stop such script-blockers from interfering with this script.
- Please do report success and failure here!
TO ENABLE FOR OTHER SITES
1) Visit your favorite WordPress site
2) Right click the GM logo and choose “Manage User Scripts” from the menu. (If necessary, click “CA Assistant” in the list on the left.)
3) Click “Add…” in the “Include” section on the top right, and press “OK” a couple of times to save the new site-name pattern.
If you don’t like the results, it’s easy to undo this using the “Delete” button you’ll find in the same place.
(It doesn’t look quite right on some sites. Eventually this will all get better…)
Yes, you can use “http://*.wordpress.com/*” if you like, to cover a lot of sites at once.
1 Jan 2010 0.0.3: Bug fixes
8 Jan 2010 0.0.8: Bug fixes, now supports all Open Source Web Ring sites (CA, Dan H, Jeff Id, Lucia, Roman M, WUWT), Comment sorting optional.
20 Jan 2010 0.0.9: Improved support for Lucia’s blog. “Recent Comments” reorganized on some blogs. Settings popup reorganized.