Writing a blog is different than writing a referees’ report. I diarize certain points for the blog as I notice them. The function of these notes is to be topical and somewhat interesting. Martin Juckes has been trying to answer some questions and, to avoid strewing comments over multiple threads, I’d like to use this thread to deal with all further specific comments about replicating Juckes et al 2006. People can still comment on Juckes et al in a general way in other threads, but if you post on this thread, it had better be a precise question or comment or I’m going to delete it- even if it’s something that I’d otherwise let pass. OK?
I’ll try to add in a list of outstanding issues as I’ve noticed them to date. I’ll continue to diarize some issues as I get to them.
Note: In order to reduce noise levels, I am going to act as a type of chairman of this thread. If you wish to comment on this thread, please do so at the thread Your Comments on Juckes Omnibus. If there’s something that you post up that I feel should be transferred here for Juckes to reply to, I’ll do so. We ourselves can chat about this thread over there, but let’s leave this thread for Martin Juckes to respond to, if he so chooses.
List in Progress:
1. Calculation of SI Figure 1. How does one get from the mbh, mbhx, std and cen series to what’s illustrated in SI Figure1? This is resolved. As discussed elsewhere, Juckes used an unreported re-scaling procedure using rms instead of standard deviation. This raises other questions which will be dealt with in turn.
2. Signal "enhancement" by removing Sargasso Sea from proxy roster
3. Signal "enhancement" by removing Indigirka from proxy roster.
4. Continued presence of false statement in online submission about code availability.
5. Removal of Tsoulmajavri series
…. to be continued as I collate other points